Black Bean Sweet Potato Chili
- 3 large sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder I used Hershey's Special Dark 100% Cacao
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 15 oz cans black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes no salt added, undrained
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (optional)
- Add olive oil to Dutch oven and sauté sweet potatoes and onion until crisp tender. Add the chili powder, garlic, cumin, cayenne, cocoa and cinnamon and cook one minute longer. Stir in the black beans, diced tomatoes, coffee, honey, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 30-35 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Serve with preferred garnishes. Enjoy!
- Optional garnishes include: dairy or vegan sour cream,plain greek yogurt, plain soy yogurt, chopped green onions, avocado. To make carnivore friendly simply add cooked chicken, beef or pork per preference at the point of service.
- Nutrition Facts: 1 cup of chili with 1 tbsp of cheese provides: 252 calories, 4 grams fat, 39 grams carbohydrate, 11 grams fiber, 9 total sugars, 11 grams protein, 369 mg sodium