Chocolate Beet Cake
- oil and flour for the pan
- 4 oz unsweetened dark chocolate
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- 2 cups cooked pureed beets (3 medium beets)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (or part white whole wheat flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees Lightly coat baking pans with oil and then dust with flour. I used two 6" cake pans and it worked perfectly. I was able to have one small cake on the day I baked and freeze the other one for another day. You could also use two loaf pans or 1 bundt pan.
- Partially fill the bottom of a double boiler with water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and fill the top of the double boiler with the chocolate and ¼ cup of vegetable oil. Once the chocolate begins to melt remove from the heat and stir the chocolate and oil until well combined. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs and sugar and beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Slowly add the remaining ¾ cup of vegetable oil, the melted chocolate mixture, vanilla and the pureed beets.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl. Add the baking soda and salt. Stir until combined. Gently add the flour mixture into the egg, chocolate and beet mixture. Stir until the flour is just mixed in. Do not over mix. Pour batter into prepared pan(s).
- Bake at 375F degrees for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Carefully remove cake from the pan and allow to cool on a rack.
- Once cool, slice the cake into two layers and spread jam between the layers. Replace the top layer. Slice and serve garnished with fresh berries and whipped cream if you are so inclined. Enjoy!