Cranberry Whole-Grain Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk can substitute non-dairy dry milk
- 2/3 cup sugar I used Turbinado sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Dash cloves
- Dash nutmeg
- 1 cup fresh cranberries chopped
- 1/2 cup pecans toasted and chopped
- 2 large eggs Can use egg substitute, see below
- 3/4 cup buttermilk Can use non dairy option, see below
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 TBS orange zest
- 2 TBS orange juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar sifted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease muffin tin.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients including spices; add the nuts and cranberries.
- Whisk together the eggs (or egg replacers), buttermilk (or non dairy replacement), oil and orange zest.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just blended. Fill muffin cups until 3/4 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until browned. Remove from oven to rack for cooling. You could top with optional glaze at this point but I found these muffins to be sweet and satisfactory without the glaze.
- Heat juice and sugar in small saucepan or microwave and stir together until glaze forms. Drizzle over muffin tops.
- Nutrition info for 1 (unglazed) muffin made with egg and buttermilk: 235 calories, 6 g protein, 29 g carbohydrate, 2.5 gram fiber, 11 grams fat, 220 mg sodium