- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 12 oz tomato paste no salt added
- 28 oz canned whole or crushed tomatoes no salt added
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp Mrs. Dash Italian Medley
- ½ tsp fresh black pepper
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese or nondairy alternative opt for lower sodium varieties
- ½ cup milk or non-dairy alternative
- 1 egg beaten optional; if used, combine with milk
- To make the sauce, cook the garlic in 2 TBS of olive oil in a large skillet until golden brown. Remove the garlic from the skillet and reserve.
- Add the tomato paste to the skillet and cook over medium high heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the canned tomatoes , breaking them apart. Add the water and bring to a boil. Add the reserved garlic, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 1 hour.
- Optional: add fresh herbs of your choice in the last 30 minutes of cooking. Fresh basil, oregano or rosemary would be nice!
- Peel the eggplant and slice into 1/8 inch slices. You will need 8 slices to make 4 servings.
- Mix the whole wheat bread crumbs, Mrs Dash and black pepper in a flat bottom bowl or deep dish. Place the milk or milk egg combo (if you are using egg) in a separate bowl.
- Put the eggplant slices (3 at a time) in a Ziploc bag with the whole wheat pastry flour and shake. Remove the slices one at a time, and shake off any excess flour.
- Build your stacks: Place 1 slice of fresh mozzarella cheese (or nondairy alternative) between two floured eggplant slices. Dip the stack in the milk or milk egg combo and then dredge in seasoned breadcrumbs. Repeat with other eggplant slices.
- Place stacks on greased cooking sheet. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with sauce.
Make extra and freeze!
- These stacks freeze very well and individual stacks can be pulled out of the freezer as needed and warmed in the oven for a quick dinner.