Mushroom Lentil Loaf
- 1 cup dry brown lentils appox. 3 cups cooked
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth or water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms chopped (approx. 3 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ red bell pepper chopped
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup tomato sauce no salt added
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce vegan if preferred
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup walnuts toasted and grounds
- Rinse the lentils and then combine them with the water or vegetable broth in a medium-size pot over high heat. Add bay leaf. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes until lentils are tender and water is gone. Once lentils are tender, drain any remaining liquid and place lentils in a large bowl. Remove bay leaf.
- Preheat oven to 375. While lentils are cooking, add olive oil to sauté pan. Cook onion, carrot, bell pepper, mushrooms, thyme and oregano in olive oil until soft, about 5 minutes. Combine sautéd veggies and herbs with cooked lentils in bowl. Add oats and walnuts, Worcestershire sauce and tomato sauce. Mix well to evenly distribute ingredients.
- Grease a loaf pan and place lentil mixture into pan. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes until loaf firms up and top is browned. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.