Spicy Braised Collard Greens
- 2 lbs collard greens cleaned and coarsely chopped with tough stems trimmed away
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ small yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes or to taste
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- black pepper to taste
- hot sauce as desired
- Add olive oil to a heavy large pot; heat to medium-high.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté until tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add collard greens and sauté until beginning to wilt. Stir in broth, red pepper flakes, Liquid Smoke; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until greens are very tender, stirring occasionally, 45-60 minutes. Stir in vinegar. Season black pepper.
- Serve with hot sauce as desired.