- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz tempeh crumbled
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms chopped
- ½ cup red wine
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes peeled and chopped
- 14 oz canned chopped tomatoes no salt added
- 2 tbsp tomato paste no salt added
- 2 cups vegetable broth low sodium
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano or 2 tsp dried
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 handful fresh basil chopped
- ½-1 tsp red pepper flakes
- plain Greek yogurt
- Heat olive oil in sauce pan and add the onion and carrot. Sautu00e9 until the onion is soft. Add minced garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes before adding crumbled tempeh and chopped mushrooms. Continue cooking until the onions and tempeh are beginning to brown and the mushrooms begin to release some of their moisture.
- Add the red wine, fresh tomatoes, canned chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, broth,lemon juice, sugar, herbs and red pepper flakes if using. Allow sauce to come to a boil then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 20-30 minutes. the sauce will thicken a bit and the flavors will all blend.
- With ten minutes or so to go in the sauce cook time, prepare your pasta.
- Serve pasta topped with the tempeh bolognese sauce. Garnish with chopped fresh basil.
- Variation: For a creamy sauce stir in a few TBS of Plain Greek Yogurt before serving.