- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes with juice or 2 lbs fresh tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic finely minced
- 2 fresh green jalapeño peppers stemmed and finely diced. Use only 1 for milder salsa
- ½ medium red onion diced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro coarsely chopped
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped can substitute ½ tsp dried oregano
- For a chunky salsa: Combine all of the ingredients together, including the juice from the tomatoes. If using fresh tomatoes, you may want to increase the vinegar a bit and/or add salt to taste.
- For a smooth salsa: follow instructions for chunky salsa but finish in the blender with a few quick pulses.
- Salsa made with canned tomatoes will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, after that it can begin to ferment. Salsa made from fresh tomatoes should be eaten within a day or two.