Spicy Braised Collard Greens
Collard greens are a great non-dairy source of calcium. They do not need to be cooked with salty pork to get that great smoky tasteu2026 try a little Liquid Smoke instead and add the taste without the salt.
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 lbs collard greens cleaned and coarsely chopped with tough stems trimmed away
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ small yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes or to taste
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- black pepper to taste
- hot sauce as desired
Add olive oil to a heavy large pot; heat to medium-high.
Add onion and garlic and sauté until tender, about 6 minutes.
Add collard greens and sauté until beginning to wilt. Stir in broth, red pepper flakes, Liquid Smoke; bring to boil.
Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until greens are very tender, stirring occasionally, 45-60 minutes. Stir in vinegar. Season black pepper.
Serve with hot sauce as desired.