Pear, Chickpea, Beet Stew
Full of nutrients, earthy and a little sweet this easy to prepare stew is perfect for a chilly evening.
Yield: 3 cups
- 1 pear peeled and chopped
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 cup vegetable broth low sodium
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 small golden beet diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp dried sage
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary or ½ tsp dried
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup fresh greens such as spinach, kale, or Swiss chard rinsed and chopped
- black pepper to taste
Add everything except the greens and black pepper to the crock pot. Cook on low for 7-9 hours.
Thirty minutes prior to serving: Turn the crock pot to high, add the greens and cook until they are bright green. Season with black pepper to taste. Remove the Bay leaf.
Serve over brown rice, quinoa or your favorite whole grain.
Notes: I used a 1.5 quart crock pot to prepare using the quantities listed here. The recipe can easily be doubled, but use a larger crock pot.
Recipe adapted slightly from a recipe found in Vegan Slow Cooking For Two or Just For You by Kathy Hester.