Broccoli and Shiitake Mushroom Soup - Dairy Free
- 1 can cannellini or great northern beans drained and rinsed
- 1 leek white parts only, rinse well to remove any sand
- 1 tbsp dried rosemary or subtitute 1 tsp fresh
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ½ cup water
- 1-1½ lbs fresh broccoli 2-3 cups chopped including stems and florets
- 8-10 oz sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth 32 oz
- 1 can cannellini or great northern beans optional
- Mix the first 4 "cream" ingredients in a blender until very smooth. Add ½ cup of water as needed to get a hummus-like consistency. A high speed blender would be nice here but is certainly not necessary. Set aside.
- Place the broth, beans, bell pepper and mushrooms into a soup pot. Heat until just boiling on medium high heat then reduce heat and simmer. Once heat is reduced add broccoli. Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the broccoli is bright green but is still crisp.
- Add the blended "cream" to the pot and stir until well combined. If you prefer a chunky soup than you may stop here. If you prefer a creamy soup then puree in batches in a blender or use a stick blender to make this a creamy soup. You could also remove some of the chunky vegetables to a bowl, cream the remaining soup and then return the vegetables to a creamy base. The choice is yours. Enjoy!