- 6 pears
- 1/4 cup brown sugar could use honey if preferred
- 1/4 cup water
- juice 1/2 fresh lemon
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp -- 1 TBSP fresh grated or minced ginger amount per preference
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Prepare Crock-Pot by spraying with cooking spray.
- Peel, core and roughly chop pears. Place chopped pears into food processor fitted with knife blade. Process until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides as needed.
- Combine pear puree and remaining ingredients in crockpot.
- Cook on low setting for 6-10 hours. Prop the lid open with a wooden spoon to allow the liquids to reduce.
- The actual time will depend on the size and power of your crock pot as well as the final thickness you want. It will reduce in volume and thicken as it cooks.
- Enjoy! It will keep in the fridge for about 2 weeks. You could also can it. As I am not (yet!) a canner, I froze some of Pear Butter by spooning it into a greased muffin tin, covering with plastic wrap and freezing overnight. In the morning I had 8 3oz servings that I placed into a Ziploc to store in the freezer. So whenever I want homemade pear butter I just reach into the freezer! The pear butter servings thaw quickly in the microwave to provide a warm pear butter for your enjoyment.
- Per 2 TBS serving: 26 calories, 7 grams carbohydrate, 0 fat, < 1gram protein, 4.8 grams sugars