Spicy Raw Tomato, Herb and Caper Sauce
- 1 lb fresh plum tomatoes seeded and coarsely chopped
- ½ cup packed fresh flat leaf parsley
- ½ cup packed fresh mint leaves
- ¼ cup capers drained, rinsed, and pressed*
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes or to taste
- 1 pinch sugar
- 6 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 cup walnuts toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 lb pasta
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- freshly chopped parsley for garnish
- Reserve about ⅓ of the chopped tomatoes. Combine the remaining tomatoes, parsley, mint, basil, capers, garlic, red pepper flakes, sugar, and black pepper in a food processer fitted with the metal blade: process until a smooth paste is formed. With the motor running, add the oil in a thin, steady stream. Transfer mixture to a large serving bowl.
- Meanwhile, prepare pasta. Drain well and add to the bowl with the tomato sauce. Add the reserved tomatoes and toss like a salad until well combined. Serve immediately, garnished with crushed walnuts and parsley.