Yam and Sweet Onion Soup
- 1 Tbsp butter or oil
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large sweet onion diced
- 2 medium yams or sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 3 cups vegetable broth low sodium
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream or evaporated milk
- Saute onion, curry powder and black pepper in oil or melted butter in a large saucepan until the spices become aromatic, about 5 minutes.
- Add the yams (or sweet potatoes) and vegetable broth. Simmer until the vegetables are fork tender, about 30 minutes.
- Blend until smooth with immersion blender. Alternatively, working in batches, transfer the soup to a blender and blend until smooth. Return to pan and stir in the cream or evaporated milk until thoroughly mixed. Serve hot.
This recipe is taken from the Soup and Bread Cookbook by Beatrice Ojakangas. I highly recommend the soup and the book!
This recipe can be adapted to suit your preference:
Chicken broth can be used instead of vegetable broth if you like.
Nondairy milk can be substituted for the heavy cream or evaporated milk.