Autumn Harvest Soup
- 1 small onion sliced and cooked in a bit of oil until tender
- 2 cups vegetable broth low sodium
- 1 ½ cups butternut or other winter squash diced
- 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas (or 14.5oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup fresh brussels sprouts shredded
- ½ cup carrots diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1–2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- toasted and crumbled pecans for garish (optional)
- Saute onion in a small pan. When tender, add onion and all of the other ingredients except the vinegar, pepper, and pecans to the Crock-Pot.
- Cook on LOW for 7-9 hours.
- Prior to serving, season with apple cider vinegar and pepper to taste. Garnish with toasted pecans.
Poke holes in the squash with a fork.
Cut off the top and bottom. Place on a towel and microwave for 3-4 minutes.
Let the squash cool for a minute and then peel with a vegetable peeler... the skin will come off much easier now. Cut the squash open and scoop out the pulp and seeds. Consider toasting the seeds for a snack later! Slice or chop the squash to suit your recipe.