Chickpea Sandwich Filling
- 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas (or one 14.5 oz can, drained and rinsed)
- ½ cup blanched almonds unsalted
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp kelp granules
- 1 stalk celery minced
- 1 scallion minced
- 1 cornichon minced (or any small dill pickle)
- 2 tsp capers drained, rinsed, and pressed in a paper towel to remove liquids; minced
- ¼ cup mayonnaise (or vegan mayonnaise)
- 1 ½ tsp dijon mustard (I use Westbrae Natural Stoneground Mustard because it has No Salt Added)
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- In a food processor, pulse the chickpeas and almonds until coarsely chopped.
- Add the lemon juice and kelp powder and blend until well combined.
- Transfer to a large bowl and add the celery, scallion, cornichon, capers, mayonnaise, and mustard.
- Mix well; adding more mayonnaise if needed to reach desired consistency.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow flavors to develop.