Lentil Walnut Burgers
- 3 TBS canola oil
- 1/2 cup minced onions
- 1 cup cooked brown lentils well drained
- 1 cup toasted walnuts finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 TBS almond butter
- 1 TBS tomato paste optional
- 2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 TBS minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 6 burger buns toasted
- Heat 1 TBS of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, cover and cook, stirring until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to food processor.
- Add the cooked lentils, toasted walnuts, brown rice, almond butter, bread crumbs, parsley, salt & pepper ( and tomato paste if using) to the onions and process to blend well. Turn the mixture out into a bowl, shape into 6 patties.
- Heat the remaining 2 TBS oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the burger patties and cook, turning once, until well browned on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. It may be necessary to cook the burgers in batches, adding more oil as needed.
- Place on the toasted burger rolls and serve hot. Enjoy!!
- Alternatively you could bake these burgers in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes.
- Serving suggestion: These lentil walnut patties are great as burger sandwiches but are also very nice served as a "bunless" entree topped with sauteed mushrooms and onions or your favorite mushroom sauce and accompanied with roasted potatoes and a green salad.