Roasted Beet, Orange, Walnut and Goat Cheese Salad
- 1 beet large
- 2 navel oranges
- 1 large head Red Leaf lettuce well washed and dried
- 1/3 cup Walnuts chopped
- 3 oz Goat Cheese or plant based alternative *Goat cheese has considerably less sodium than feta cheese but feta can be substituted
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- juice from oranges
- fresh black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Wrap beet in aluminum foil and place in oven. Roast for 45 minutes or until tender. When cool enough to handle, cut into wedges.
- While beet is cooking, peel and segment the oranges. Start by slicing off both ends of the orange which will make it easier to trim away the rest of the peel. Work over a a bowl ready to catch the citrus juices.
- Trim away the skin and pith, starting at the top and slicing downwards following the curve of the fruit. Try to cut away all of the skin and the pith without also taking too much of the fruit.
- Using a paring knife, cut into one of the segments until you reach the middle of the orange to release the segment, but don't cut through any of the membrane. Work slowly around the orange until all of the segments have been released. Squeeze juices from the membranes into the bowl.
- To make the dressing, add olive oil, white wine vinegar and dijon mustard to collected orange juice, whisk until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. For a reduced sodium dressing omit salt.
Compose the Salad
- Place lettuce, beets, oranges and walnuts into a large salad bowl. Toss with dressing until dressing is well distributed.
- Serve individual portions and garnish with goat cheese.
- Bon appétit.